Why Is Face Recognition System Considered Underrated?
The human face plays an important role in or social interaction, conveying people’s identity. Using the human face as a key to security, biometric face recognition technology has received significant attention in the past several years due to its potential for a wide variety of applications both in law enforcement as well as non- law enforcement. As compared with other biometric systems using fingerprints/palm print and iris, face recognition has many distinct advantages because of its non- contact process. Face images can be captured from a distance without touching the person being identified, and the identification does not require interacting with the individual.
What is Face Recognition System?
A facial recognition is a technology capable of identifying and verifying a person a person from a digital source. There are various methods in which facial recognition systems work, but in general, they work by comparing selected facial features with faces within a database. Nowadays, it is more often used in mobile platforms and also in other forms of technology, such as robotics. Although the accuracy of facial recognition system as a biometric technology is lower than iris recognition and fingerprint recognition.
How Does Face Recognition System Works?
Technologies may vary, but here are some basic steps:-
Step 1 – A picture of your face is captured from a photo or video. Your face might appear alone in the crowd. Your image may show you looking straight ahead or nearly in profile.
Step 2 – Facial recognition software reads the geometry of your face. Key factors include the distance between your eyes and the distance from forehead to chin, The Software identifies 68 such factors – that are key to distinguishing your face. The result is your facial signature.
Step 3 – Your facial signature – a mathematical formula – is compared to a database of known faces. Yes you heard it right “mathematical formula” as a very large number of combinations are possible in it.
‘According to a report in 2018, the FBI has had an access to 412 million facial images for searches.’
Step 4 – A determination is made. Your face print may match that of an image in facial recognition system database.
Facial recognition system use a number of measurements and technologies to scan faces including thermal imaging, 3D face mapping, cataloging unique features also called landmarks, analyzing geometric proportions of facial features, and skin surface texture analysis. Facial recognition technology falls under the category of biometrics, or measurement of biological data. Other examples of biometric technologies include fingerprint scanning and eye/iris scanning systems.
Uses of facial recognition technology
Facial recognition can be used for a multitude of applications, from security to advertisements. Some examples are as follows:-
· Mobile phone manufacturers such as Mobile company and nowadays almost all the companies are using this technology for consumer security reasons.
· By State government at airports, via The Department of homeland security, to identify individuals who may overstay their visas.
· Law enforcement through collecting mug shots to compare against databases from local state, and federal sources.
· Social media such as Facebook, to tag individuals in photographs.
· Business security, as businesses, can use facial recognition for entry to their buildings.
Marketing, where marketers can use facial recognition to determine age, gender, and ethnicity to target specific audiences.
Mobile has cautioned that identical siblings (twins, triplets) would be able to unlock each other’s phones. Even without an identical sibling, Mobile has estimated that there is approximately a one-in-a-million chance that the face of a complete stranger will have the same mathematical representation of their facial scan as you do.
Benefits of using facial recognition system
i. It provides us improved level of security.
ii. Requires less processing compared to other biometric authentication techniques.
iii. Easy to integrate with existing techniques.
iv. Accuracy o reading has improved over time.
v. Can be used to help automate authentication.
Limitations of facial recognition system
Each and everything that is known to us has two faces. Despite of having a large number of advantages facial recognition system also has certain limitations:-
· Poor resolution images and poor lighting can reduce the accuracy of face-scanning results.
· Different angles and facial expressions, even a simple smile, can pose challenges for face matching systems.
· Facial recognition system loses accuracy when an individual is wearing items like glasses, hats, scarves, or hairstyle that cover part of the face. Makeup and facial hair can also pose issues for face detection programs.
· Facial scans don’t necessarily connect with profile, meaning that a scan of a person’s face may not be useful if there are no photos of them in an accessible database. Without a match, the identity of the person behind the face can scan remain a mystery.
For more information and Details of the Face recognition system please visit – Translineindia . More Biometric products like Aadhaar Enrollment Kit, Id One Attendance management system, Fingerprint Attendance, Iris Identification System, are also available. People who are looking to buy them can visit “ House Of Biometric ”. Many more awesome products are available at cheaper prices as compared to other companies.